Momentum 2017 Claim Statistics
- Ten strokes take place in SA every hour (Health 24, 2017).
- Globally, a new case of dementia occurs every three seconds. More than 44 million people worldwide have Alzheimer’s disease (Health 24, 2017).
- About 82 000 South Africans die per year from heart diseases and strokes (Health 24, 2017).
- A 2014 study showed that 78% of South Africans older than 50 years had hypertension, with less than half of them being diagnosed and less than 7% having it under control (Health 24, 2014).
- Around the world, one in 10 people die prematurely from cardiovascular disease (Heart and Stroke Foundation South Africa [HSFSA], 2017).